Recurring attacks by white sharks on divers at two Pacific sites Mexico and California
Synopsis: Two pairs of recurring attacks by white sharks on divers are detailed. A free-diving spearfisherman was fatally injured at Isla de Guadalupe, Mexico. Eleven years later, a second free diver was attacked while spearfishing at the same location. The swim fin of a commercial abalone diver was bitten at Point Conception, California, and an abalone sport scuba diver was attacked at the same site only four days later. The possible existence of “attack prone” microsites, perhaps characterized by the presence of pinnipeds and the absence of canopy-forming vegetation, is considered. The use of wound characteristics related to tooth interspace measurements for determining the causal species and approximate shark size is discussed. Diver safety recommendations and precautions are highlighted.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - ecologie animale, vegetale et microbienne
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Aquatic Science
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Ecology, Evolution, Behavior and Systematics